Sunday, February 3, 2008

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the previews are over and the screen goes black and that familiar theme music begins, butterflies will be flapping their wings in every stomach in every man over thirty. Our eyes will twitch from the DTS crack of his whip, women's hearts will melt when he flashes his mischievous grin and we'll shed a tear in nostalgic glory when he mutters the immortal phrase, "I hate snakes."

It's been almost twenty years since Dr. Jones rode off into the sunset but now he's back. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull comes to the screen May 22 2008.

This project has been ongoing for quite a few years however scheduling contracts and "creative differences" have put holds on the film. Last year, they finally began filming.

At first I was skeptical about the project. Frank Darabont(Shawshank Redemption) was attached to write the script, but that fell through for some reason or another. However, David Koepp(Spiderman) has written the final script. I was a little bit worried when I heard the news that George Lucas was going to write the script himself and feared that Jar Jar Binks was going to yell,"Dr. Jones! Dr. Jones!" Phew!!!

The attraction to the Indiana Jones series isn't so much that they're a highbrow film. They're not. What they are is really what a great film should be: Adventure, romance, excitement and for two hours of the day, imagination. Spielberg has compared the series to the serials of the thirties and forties. He's right.

When I was a kid, I collected the Raiders of the Lost Ark trading cards. There was always that last card with the gum stuck on it too. My dad took my brother and I to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. We waited for almost an hour in the line up.

So on May 22 2008, my Dad and I will wait in line again. We'll get a large popcorn, sit in the middle row and when the lights dim and the previews are over and we hear the familiar theme song; Butterflies will fly again.

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!

You give me butterflies.

xoxox
MB