Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Rambo (2008)

It seems that there has been a couple of phrases that have cropped up since DVD's have come into existence.

1. "Take it for what it is"
2. "Check your brain at the door"

That's exactly what Sylvester Stallone has done with this film. I have not seen Rambo, but somewhere down the road I might. With that being said, let me ask a question: Would someone go and buy a vehicle and the salesperson says, "Take it for what it is." Nope. Nobody would buy that vehicle. I know this, I've sold cars for a living.

Would a doctor say when they meet a patient,"I'm going to check my brain at the door while I examine you." I don't think so.

Sylvester Stallone, once upon a time, had potential. He created Rocky. One of my favourites and one of the greatest films ever made. It had characters, it had passion, it had love. It won an Oscar.

All right, I was skeptical when he brought Rocky Balboa to the screen. However, it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I'm going out on a limb to say it was a good way to end the series. Although, the series should have ended after Rocky. Or at the very least, Sylvester should have hired a director and screenwriter to breathe new life into the project. He's a very pedestrian kind of director. No style or substance.

Now, movies are expensive to make and they're expensive to go and see. I'm not about to spend $25 on,"Take it for what it is." It better be a classic.

There is a right way to do things and a wrong way. A Lamborghini is the right way to make a car. A Ford Pinto is the wrong way.

Rocky=the right way

Rambo=the wrong way.

You get my point.

Please Sly, stop making movies. Copland showed you might still have it, but you blew it. Did it not occur to you to do more dramatic roles instead of schlock like Rambo?

If Sylvester Stallone wants to be taken seriously, he should pick serious roles.

So, take this review(cough, cough) for what it is.

http://movies.break.com/rambo/

No comments: